Friday, July 23, 2010

Days 22, 23 - Summer feels like it is here!!

Summer in the garden means Peaches and Tomatoes. Well, the time has come, albiet a bit late, and sure later than I am used to when I lived in Santa Barbara. I remember ripe tomatoes in late June or early July. Did not have the pleasure of fruit trees back then...so I cannot comment on Peaches.

People ask what fruit trees I might plant if I had only a limited space...like space for only two trees. If I had to pick two trees, they would have to be Peach for the summer and a Navel Orange for the winter. Both are prolific and if you follow Dave Wilson Nursery's tips on Peach trees, you can plant four successively ripening trees in one "hole" and have peaches for two months. A good Orange tree will also give you fruit for two months. That gives you four months of backyard fruit, including winter fruit which is essential in my opinion!!

Harvested the past couple of days:
Day 22:
1) One bunch of chard ($3.00)
2) One Lemon Boy Tomato ($1.00)

Day 23:
1) Six Peaches ($3.00)

Total Harvested (Year-to-Date): $84.50
Expenses (Year-to-Date): $6.00

No comments:

Post a Comment