Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 21 - The Pear

Harvested the first of the Bartlett Pears today. Speaking with my Old Italian Guy (OIG) neighbor who benefits from my Pear tree by having the tree hang over his fence, he commented how Pears do not get the respect that they used to get. I have to agree!! When we moved into this house, the Pear tree was looking like it was on its last legs. With some careful pruning and learning about what can kill these trees, I have managed to bring this old mama back to a full fruiting glory!! My wife and I believe that it is one of the best fruits we get every year (and so do my neighbors who benefit from large harvests). This tree also gives our property some history. Its trunk is old and gnarled. Do not know how old it is exactly, but it must be at least 30 years old.

The question I get is, "How do you know when the pears are ready to be harvested?" You cannot let the fruit "ripen" on the tree because if you do that they will be rotten in the core. So, I know that this is about the time of the year that I begin to "test" the fruit. I pick a few to let them ripen on the countertop. If they ripen nicely, I harvest a few every day so I have successive ripening...and the kids devour these luscious beauties, usually before I get any. If they do not ripen well, I will wait another week or so before trying again.

Good day in the garden...things ramping up!!
1) Four peaches ($2.00)
2) Two zuchinni ($2.50)
3) Four Pears ($2.00)

Total Harvested (Year-to-Date): $77.50
Expenses (Year-to-Date): $6.00

No comments:

Post a Comment